First 26 Weeks

First 26 Weeks
Week 1- Week 26

"Consider it Pure Joy...Whenever You Face Trials of Many Kinds"

James, Jesus brother is writing to his Jerusalem congregation to encourage them during a time of great persecution by the Romans. (probably 50AD)  You would think he would say something like, "Now I am Jesus' brother and you really need to listen to me." But instead James describes himself to be a slave of the Lord Jesus.   Now remember...this was the brother who was sceptical of Jesus....until he met the "resurrected Jesus"...and then James surrendered to Jesus identity of "Son of God" and "Lord".

So...let us begin looking at James 1:3-5,  "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."

This passage has rolled over in my mind thousands of times since I memorized it.  The Holy Spirit has encouraged me through many tough times...by reminding me to "Consider it pure joy" ....to check my fears and my selfishness at the door...and to remember that God is with me.  God is in charge...not me.
It is not about me...my pain...my embarrassment..my inconvenience....  It is about His Glory...His Story.

When we think of trials...being persecuted...tough times...all we tend to see is the steps of the painful journey.  But James says to, "consider it joy."  He says...don't focus on the trial...think of God's blessings.  God is giving you all the good gifts of maturity and completeness.   He will be there the whole way with you. 

 Take heart...my friends....Jesus, the resurrected Lord is with you.  So next time..."consider it pure joy."

No comments:

Post a Comment