First 26 Weeks

First 26 Weeks
Week 1- Week 26

This Poor Widow Has Put In More Than All The Others

On Sunday my wife and I kept the four year old kids at our church.  Their lesson was from Luke 21:1-4...the story of the poor widow's offering. Before I read the lesson from a children's story book, I passed out squares of paper representing money.  We gave instruction that we were pretending that we were passing the offering plate like in "big" church.  Most of the children put in 1 or 2 pieces of paper. A couple of kids put in all the pieces of paper that they had.  One little boy however did not put any paper in...keeping it all for himself.  The last little girl put in the one very, very small piece of paper that I had given her.

Next I read the story from Luke 21.  I read the words of Jesus, “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others.  All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

After this the little boy who had not put any paper in the offering plate became "convicted of sin."His eyes were eyes of great guilt ....and then great repentance as he held out the paper...wanting to now put his "money" in the offering plate. He got the lesson....He understood the example...the words of Jesus cut to the bone.

Do you understand the heart that Jesus is looking for?  It is the heart of a generous, all-giving, poor widow woman....... not a selfish, self-centered heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment