First 26 Weeks

First 26 Weeks
Week 1- Week 26

I Am The Bread of Life

John continues the theme of bread in the 6th chapter of John.  After miraculously taking 5 small loaves of barley bread, Jesus gave thanks and fed 5000+ of his followers. In the text it says, "as much as they wanted."

Now that's a lot of bread...no matter how you figure it.

A day or two later many of the followers caught up with Jesus.  They were curious because they wanted to get in on some more "miracles."  But Jesus uses the situation as a teaching moment, "Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you."

Jesus is again is talking about earthly bread vs heavenly bread, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."  Jesus is the bread He has been referring to...He is our heavenly nourishment...it is He who sustains us...He is life...without Him we will perish...(just as without food we would soon die)

"Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.  This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” This teaching has been confusing for many...but Jesus is again saying that He is as important to eternal life as food and drink.  If we don't eat...if we don't drink...we die.  If we don't feast on Jesus by believing in Him and following Him...we will not taste eternal life with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment